4 Awesome Facts About Snakes

Despite that, we have progressed so much in life, and we have progressed tremendously in life, certain aspects are still misunderstood, including snakes. Understandably, people are afraid of snakes because these reptiles are venomous.

Nonetheless, there are some awesome facts about snakes that make these amazing reptiles deserving of our protection and care.

Read on to learn more:


Snakes Have a Big Family

Not all snakes are alike – if you know, you know that there are approximately four thousand snake species which makes snakes the second-largest gang of reptiles (lizards are at the top of the list). Nonetheless, this category of reptiles is further classified into thirty different families and subfamilies. And if you live in Australia, you ought to know that Australia hosts more than one hundred types of snakes.

If you are thinking about adopting one of these amazing reptiles and making them part of your family, you might want to check out these amazing ball pythons for sale.


Snakes Get their Heat from the Sun

If you have watched Harry Potter or Vampire Diaries, you might know that snakes are often labeled as cold-blooded – and this aspect isn’t true at all. Snakes might appear cold-blooded when they consume rats cold-heartedly, but the internal temperature of these reptiles varies as they get their energy from the sun or external heat sources.

Birds and mammals are able to regulate their internal body temperature on their own; however, snakes cannot do the same. Reptiles need external heat to regulate their body temperature, which is why you will find a heat source in a snake cage.


No Eyelids

If you have watched Harry Potter, you know that snakes don’t have eyelids – the same goes for Lord Voldemort (this dude had no eyelids either). Understandably, there is something outright eerie about snakes, which has a lot to do with their absence of eyelids.

Snakes don’t blink – which is another reason they are scary. Since snakes don’t have eyelids, they have a thin membrane in their place to protect their eyes; speaking of which, you might want to learn another interesting fact about snakes – snakes smell with their tongue. Also known as the Jacobson’s organ, this organ (used for smelling purposes) is placed on the roof of the snake’s mouth.

If you have ever analyzed the shape of a snake’s tongue, you might know that it is shaped like a fork, and its tongue has countless receptors that are capable of picking up a wide number of chemical cues.


Only 70% of Snakes Lay Eggs

Not all reptiles lay eggs, and snakes are one of them. When it comes to the snake family, only 70% of snakes lay eggs; the remaining 30% give birth to snake babies. This is particularly true for the snakes living in colder regions – the harsh cold climate outside wouldn’t allow snake eggs to survive outside, which is why they are blessed by Mother Nature to give live birth instead of laying eggs.

Besides, snakes cannot chew, so they swallow their prey while allowing their digestive system to break down their food.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Previous post 4 Essential Tips for Developing a Disaster Recovery Plan
Next post Best Dream11 Prediction, Fantasy Analysis Website for IPL, PSL, CSA T20, Big Bash League, T10 League, T20I, ODI Today’s cricket match